Texas Health Resources Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) in Allen, Texas
Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) - Full Time, Nights
8K Sign-On Bonus (external candidates only)
Are you looking for a rewarding career with family-friendly hours and top-notch benefits? We’re looking for qualified Medical Laboratory Scientist like you to join our Texas Health family.
Work location: Texas Health Allen, 1105 N Central Expy, Allen, TX 75013.
Work environment: Lab Department
Work hours: Full-Time, 40 hours weekly, Night shift, 8:00p – 6:30a (7 on/7 off)
Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Allen is a 73-bed, acute-care hospital serving the northern Collin County area since 2000. Hospital services include women’s care, a Level II neonatal intensive care unit, orthopedics, pediatrics, wound care and sleep medicine. Texas Health Allen, a Pathway to Excellence® designated hospital by the American Nurses Credentialing Center, has more than 500 physicians on its medical staff practicing in more than 25 specialties. Texas Health Allen is a World Health Organization-designated "Baby-Friendly Hospital" and was the first hospital in Texas to receive the distinction. The hospital is a Level IV trauma center and an Accredited Chest Pain Center by the Society of Chest Pain Centers, which makes our facility intensely qualified to serve our community and your professional aspirations.
• Bachelor's Degree Medical Technology, Applied Technology, Clinical Lab Science or Chemical, Physical or Biological Science preferred.
• Individuals hired as a CLS II prior to January 3, 2010 will be grandfathered to the MLS position with existing education. degree may be obtained within 3 months of hire required.
• Internship in an approved Medical Technology training program required and 2 years-experience in a Medical Laboratory preferred.
• 2 years-experience in a blood bank preferred.
• MT(ASCP) - Medical Technologist 90 Days required Or MLS(ASCP) - Medical Lab Scientist 90 Days required Or Other AMT, AAB, HHS, NCA, HEW, CLS- CA, FL, NY state license, Philippine Board of Technical Technology Upon Hire required Or M(ASCP) - Microbiology if working in Microbiology Upon Hire required Or BB (ASCP) - Blood Banking if working in Blood Bank Upon Hire required.
• Possesses organizational skills to function in a fast-paced environment, positive interpersonal skills, good verbal, and written communication skills, able to perform basic computer skills.
Position Responsibilities Texas Health Allen Medical Laboratory Scientist will evaluate and solve problems related to collection and/or processing of specimens.
In addition to the required qualifications, a successful Medical Laboratory Scientist will:
Specimen Integrity :
• Specimen conditions are identified that adversely affect test results.
• Maintain specimen integrity throughout the testing process.
• Facilitates workflow process.
• Checks outstanding tests list in a timely manner.
• Troubleshoots and follows through on outstanding tests which appear to have not been collected/received when expected
• Knows and uses computer downtime procedures as needed when computer is not available.
• Gives proper notification when supplies need to be ordered.
• Utilizes time between testing to accomplish other needed tasks. (evaluation of kits, preparing controls, supply management, housekeeping duties, etc.).
• Performs tasks in a manner that enhances the quality of care.
• Helps other hospital and laboratory coworkers to provide timely patient care.
• Demonstrates active cost effectiveness.
• Follows established laboratory test procedures, including using proper computer protocol.
• Evaluates and reports test results.
• Communicates and documents relevant patient data to appropriate personnel.
• Relays information to next shift and coworkers (ex. instrument malfunctions, unusual patient results, testing problems).
• Gives direction and guidance to technical staff and laboratory support personnel.
• Demonstrates understanding of quality control guidelines.
• Follows Laboratory policies when quality control is not within established limits.
• Resolves quality control discrepancies before releasing/reporting patient results
• Documents and review QC and ensure corrective action when appropriate.
• Performs and documents laboratory equipment maintenance protocols within established time limits.
• Demonstrates knowledge to troubleshoot equipment.
• Follow laboratory protocol for proficiency testing.
• Incorporates safety/infection control measures into work practices.
• Follows HIPAA guidelines.
• Demonstrates knowledge of and follows all hospital and Lab safety/infection control policies and procedures.
• Participates in required hospital/laboratory safety drills.
• Utilizes the event reporting tool to document and report patient situations, on-the-job injuries, and medical device malfunctioning.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Why Texas Health As a Texas Health MLS you’ll enjoy top-notch benefits including 401(k) with match, paid time off, competitive health insurance choices, healthcare and dependent care spending account options, wellness programs to keep you and your family healthy, tuition reimbursement, a student loan repayment program and more.
At Texas Health, our people make this a great place to work every day. Our inclusive, supportive, people-first, excellence-driven culture makes Texas Health Allen a great place to work.
Here are a few of our recent awards:
2021 FORTUNE Magazine’s “100 Best Companies to Work For®” (7th year in a row)
Becker's Healthcare "150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare" (4 years running)
“America’s Best Employers for Diversity” list by Forbes
A “100 Best Workplaces for Millennials" by Fortune and Great Place to Work®
Additional perks of being a THA Medical Laboratory Scientist:
Gain a sense of accomplishment by contributing to a teamwork environment
Positively impact patients’ quality of life
Receive excellent mentorship, comprehensive training and dedicated clinical leadership resources
Enjoy opportunities for growth
Explore our Texas Health careers site for info like Benefits , Job Listings by Category , recent Awards we’ve won and more.
Do you still have questions or concerns? Feel free to email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Employment opportunities are only reflective of wholly owned Texas Health Resources entities.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employees or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.